The statistical analysis of tourists' features in relation to any destination is known as profiling of tourists. It facilitates improvements in
- Planning and deciding on development priorities
- Marketing strategies of tourism products and services
Profiling is also helpful for understanding guest-host relationships and tourism impacts. Regular visitor surveys are needed to obtain tourist profiles. Periodical surveys with specific objectives are also conducted.
Objectives Of 1988-89 survey of International Tourists
- To understand socio-economic and demographic particulars of international tourists
- To identify factors influencing their choice of India as a place to visit
- To estimate expenditure pattern of international tourists
- To identify the places visited, duration of stay and accommodation used at each place
- To assess tourists' preference of accommodation, tariff rates and other services
- To assess their level of satisfaction
- To construct a consumer price index for international tourists
- To assess demographic particulars of transit tourists and identify the reasons for their not visiting India
The intrinsic appeal of a place is measured in terms of percentage of repeat visitors. The decision to visit a place depends on a variety of factors like security, tourist appeal and costs about alternate destination choices. Identification of these factors are necessary for planning promotional strategies.