There are many places in Bombay which attract tourists. We mention here some of the major places of tourist interest.
Places of Tourist Interest
Both mainland Bombay and its suburbs have a number of places that attract tourists
A) Mainland Bombay : The major sites are
1. Gateway of India : A major landmark associated with the city of Bombay. It is situated at Apollo Bunder. Built in 1924, it is designed on the style of Arc de Triomphe to commemorate the visit of King George V and Queen Mary.
2. Elephanta Island : It is in the sea (about 60 min ferry ride) and is one of the major tourist attractions. The cave sculptures in the Brahmi style are very famous. Especially Maheshmurti (Three faced Shiva) is the prime attraction of the cave. On the way to Elephanta you cross Battery Island with anti-aircraft guns, now a maritime naval museum.
3. Prince of Wales Museum : This famous museum is a domed structure, a masterpiece in Indo-Islamic architecture. It houses an excellent collection and was opened in 1914.
4. Bombay University : An example of French-Gothic structure completed in 1874. Rajabi towers is the main highlight in this area.
5. Bombay High Courts : Next to the University, it is another masterpiece in architecture.
6. Victoria Terminus : Known locally as Boribundar, it is the terminal on Central Railway and a wonderful piece of architecture. General post office is next to this which is another domed structure. Bombay Municipal Corporation headquarters is also an impressive structure.
7. Hutatma Chowk : Earlier known as Flora Fountain. It is a martyr memorial surrounded by a big chowk area which is a parking space.
8. Asiatic Library : One of the old libraries of Asiatic Society located in Bombay. It is 150 years old. It is well known for possessing very old manuscripts and many books on Oriental culture. Opposite to this is Horniman circle and St.Thomas Cathedral where the famous tinted glass-work is still intact.
9. Afghan Church : It was constructed in memory of British soldiers who died in Afghan war.
10. Lands End : Southern tip of Bombay where United Services Club is located. In the vicinity is situated the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research.
11. Marine Drive : This is a curving water front drive facing the sea that extends form Nariman Point to Malabar Hill. When lit with lights it looks like a "Queen's Necklace" at night.
12. Taraporewala Aquarium : It is located on Marine Drive and has a good display of marine life.
13. Mani Bhavan : Located on Laburnum road, this a place displaying belongings of Gandhiji.
14. Walkeshwar : Name comes from Waluka Ishwar meaning God made from sand. It is a legendary temple.
15. Jain Temple : Built in 1903 by Shwetambar Jain Sect.
16. On climbing the hill one comes to Hanging Gardens which were built on the water reservoir. This place offers beautiful panoramic views of Marine Drive and Nariman Point Areas.
17. The Tower of Silence is an area where Parsees are taken after death. This is at the foot of the hill.
18. Mahalaxmi Temple : One of the famous temples of Bombay. It overlocks seaside at Worli.
19. Haji-Ali : Also at Worli, this is a dargah of muslim saint which is approachable during low tide via causeway.
20. Race Course : Opposite Haji-Ali along the waterfront, the race course is famous for horse racing.
21. Planetarium and Nehru Science Centre : These complexes are very popular especially with children. Educative displays are of high standards.
22. Siddhi Vinayak Temple : One of the most famous Ganesh Temple of Bombay.
B) In the Suburban Areas : Here the attractions are
1. Juhu Beach : One of the well known beaches famous for Bhel-puri stalls.
2. Hare Ram Hare Krishna Mandir : A complex of temple and hostelery belonging to ISKCON cult.
3. Avarey : Milk colony complex located in scenic area at Goregaon.
4. Borivali Naional Park : Famous for Lion Safari Park and toy train.
5. Kanheri Caves : Located on hills near national park, they are part of an ancient Buddhist University.
6. Esselworld Fantasy Land : These are modern day amusement parks famous for their rides.
7. Film City : Located at Goregaon, a visit to this place and Bollywood is of interest to many tourists.