Are you dissatisfied with your current mobile operator? Now you can use mobile number portability (MNP) service provided by TRAI to change your service provider without changing your number. Basically you can keep your number and switch operators. Once you port your number to another operator, you are not allowed to make another port request for 3 months. So you will have to stay in your new network for a minimum of 3 months before you can make a new port request.
Mobile operators charge differently for MNP service. TRAI regulated fee for MNP service is Rs.19 but my personal experience with Vodafone and Idea shows that they don't charge that much. In fact Vodafone didn't charge me anything for porting, whereas Idea charged Rs.5. Using MNP you can switch from CDMA to GSM or GSM to CDMA or from Prepaid to Postpaid or vice versa. You won't be allowed to change circles using MNP.
How to use MNP or how to port my number to another operator?
- Send sms PORT space YOUR NUMBER to 1900. For eg: PORT 9846098460
- You will receive a confirmation and a porting code via sms. This porting code will be used as a reference while porting.
- Walk into any retail office of the mobile operator of your choice and provide porting code, copy of ID proof and a photo.
- They will give you a new sim card to insert into your phone once your existing sim is deactivated. You will receive an sms regarding the possible deactivation period and black out hours. Normally the blackout hours for MNP will be about 4 hours, in which you won't be able to make any calls. For customer convenience it will be from 12am to 4am.
- Insert the new sim once the existing sim is deactivated (range bar will disappear).
- Call the activation helpline number provided by the new operator.
- Activate your sim (which normally takes about 30 minutes).
- Enjoy the service.